Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Digital Artists

Looking at digital artists has been very interesting and a little mind blowing in the process too.  Besides Sonia Falcone, whom I have taken a very strong liking to, I have also been a little besotted by the work of Italian artist Daniel Gay and Aussie Justin Maller and found a fascinating piece by Frederik Pietschmann.

This work by Daniel Gay is titled "Positronic Self Portrait".


I think this work is incredibly life like and perhaps a reflection of where life is taking us?  Will we one day be part man, part machine?  Our lives are so full of electronic devices and computerised equipment that it will probably make sense to integrate them into our own bodies in the future.

Daniel Gay trained as an illustrator and now specialises in computer graphics with a great deal of works focusing on a sci-fi or fantasy theme.








This work by Frederik Pietschmann is titled "Why so happy meal?"



I just love this work.  Taking the famous Ronald character from the world's beloved fast food chain and turning it into something dark is a great idea.  We all know that too much junk food is bad for you and using the Joker with the tag line "Why so happy meal?" makes you question why kids are so happy with their little happy meal of fat!









Finally, Justin Maller's work is incredible.
Visit his website here : http://justinmaller.com/
He was asked what art provides him and what it is about looking at, making and experiencing art that he loves.  He said that he prefers not to over think it and appreciates work from a technical point of view.  He likes art that takes a lot of skill to create and art that has a part of the artist in it.  He believes that you can see and feel an artists soul in visual work.
He was also asked what he hopes to achieve and express with his own work.  Justin describes his work as stuff that makes him happy and gives him a sense of satisfaction.

                         "I want to play on my computer for a few days, give my subconscious
                         a chance to run around, my conscious mind some time to concentrate
                         and play the solitary, shallow craft I have spent a decade honing and at
                         the end of the day have something cool to show for it.  If it challenges
                         me, goes somewhere unexpected, and it looks good and when I'm done
                         with it, then I feel good about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment